Australia Awards Scholarships are the best scholarship programs for international students funded by the Australian Government. Offers the next generation of global leaders an opportunity to undertake study, research, and professional development in Australia.
Australia also offers a range of scholarships through a number of different organizations including universities, education providers, and state governments. Candidates are selected through a merit-based process involving nomination by an eligibility agency in their home country, followed by an assessment of their application by a selection panel in Australia.
If you are searching for funding opportunities to help pay for your education, look no further than the following list of top awards scholarships, and grants in Australia.
Eligible countries for Australia Awards Scholarship
The scholarship provides funding for eligible students from developing countries to pursue full-time undergraduate or postgraduate study at an Australian education institution.
Eligible Countries to apply for scholarship:
- ASEAN (Brunei, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand)
- Sri Lanka
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Marshall Islands
- Papua New Guinea
- Republic of Palau
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- MIDDLE EAST
- Palestinian Territories
- West Bank
- East Jerusalem
- Palestinian Territories
Eligibility criteria for getting an Australia Awards Scholarship
In order to get considered, it’s important to know the eligibility criteria. The applicant must meet certain requirements for this scholarship:
- Must be at least 18 years of age on the 1st of February of the year of acquiring the scholarship.
- A citizen of a participating country acknowledged by Australia Awards Scholarship Website.
- Not holding or bearing citizenship of Australia or not applying for permanent residency in Australia.
- Not married, engaged or a de facto to a person who is eligible to hold either Australian or New Zealand Citizenship or permanent residency in the duration of the application.
- Not currently on military service.
- Have not received an Australia Award unless resided outside the country twice the length of the total time they were in Australia.
- Has no criminal liabilities in their home country.
- Beneficiaries who completed secondary school under the Pacific Secondary School Scholarship Program (PSSSP) in Australia are eligible to apply for a long-term Australia Award.
- Satisfactorily meet any specific criteria made by the government of the applicant’s country of citizenship.
- Meet the admission requirements of the institution to which the award is to be undertaken.
- Accomplish all the requirements to hold student visa.
- Not applying to a lower academic level than what already pursued.
- Inform the program areas concerned or with the managing contractors for proper and transparent managing of the application.
Certain exemptions are also considered in relation to which an applicant is required to apply from their country of citizenship:
- Applicants residing in a third country working for their government.
- Countries willing to grant an award noting it will be reported as belonging to the applicant’s country of citizenship.
What is included in the Australia Awards Scholarship?
All scholarship expenditures are entered into the Online Australia Scholarships Information System (OASIS) by the institution that is responsible for disbursing these funds to awardees or expending the funds on the awardees’ behalf.
- Academic Fees – Covers all the costs including compulsory academic fees.
- Travel Expenses – Single economy class airfare from the home country.
- Visa and Medical Checks – Payments for visa processing and related medical exams needed for visa acquisition.
- Introductory Academic Program (IAP) – Compulsory 4- to 6-week program intended for awardees arriving in Australia.
- Establishment Allowance – AU$5,000 given to cover the expenses for rental bonds, textbooks, study materials, and additional medical and home content insurance when the awardee arrives in Australia.
- Stipend for living expenses – Australian financial aid for international students is given as a Contribution to Living Expenses (CLE) paid at a rate determined by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) – Basic medical cost
- Completion travel – Single economy class given at the completion of the scholarship.
Application process for Australia Awards Scholarship
Three important application processes to note before applying the scholarships and grants to study in Australia:
- Check the Australia Awards opening and closing dates. Get the latest update from DFAT. Opening and closing dates may vary per country.
- Read the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook thoroughly. The handbook provides all the information including eligibility requirements, selection process, benefits, and responsibilities.
- Certain countries are encouraging applications done online though some countries prefer printout applications.
- Application online – Fill in all needed information in Australia Scholarships Information System (OASIS).
- Application through the mail – Check your participating country profile and look for contact details to get printout application forms and necessary documents needed for accomplishment.
Australia Awards Scholarships Participating Institutions
|Australian Catholic University||Aviation Australia||Bond University|
|Box Hill Institute TAFE||Bureau of Meteorology||Canberra Institute of Technology|
|Carnegie Mellon University||Central Queensland University||Charles Darwin University|
|Charles Sturt University||Chisholm Institute of TAPE||Curtin University of Technology|
|Deakin University||Edith Cowan University||Federation University|
|Flinders University||Griffith University||Holmesglen Institute of TAFE|
|James Cook University||Kangan Institute||La Trobe University|
|Macquarie University||Melbourne Polytechnic||Monash University|
|Murdoch University||Queensland University of Technology||RMIT University|
|Southern Cross University||Swinburne University of Technology||TAFE NSW|
|TAFE Queensland||TAFE SA||Tasmanian Polytechnic|
|The Australian National University||The Gordon Institute of TAFE||The University of Adelaide|
|The University of Melbourne||The University of New England||The University of New South Wales (including ADFA)|
|The University of Newcastle||The University of Queensland||The University of Sydney|
|The University of Western Australia||University College London||University of Canberra|
|University of South Australia||University of Southern Queensland||University of Tasmania (including the Australian Maritime College)|
|University of Technology Sydney||University of the Sunshine Coast||University of Wollongong|
|Victoria University||Western Sydney University||William Angliss Institute of TAFE|
What are the conditions of the Australia Awards Scholarships?
In accepting the scholarship, the awardee shall agree to the following scholarship conditions:
- Start the scholarship in the academic year for which it is offered or otherwise stated by DFAT if not doing so.
- The awardee shall participate in the pre-departure briefing and the institution’s Introductory Academic Program.
- Take only the offered course in Australia and follow the rules of the institution.
- Obey the law of Australia
- Leaving Australia in less than two years during the two-year exclusion period will extend its end date.
- Full-time engagement in academic study.
- Satisfactory academic progress and good academic conduct.
- Shall lodge in Australia for the duration of the scholarship unless holidays, reunion visits, or fieldwork are approved by DFAT.
- Maintain clear communications with DFAT.
- Coordinate with DFAT for any untoward incident.
- For any publication made while on scholarship, the awardee must address as a scholar supported by the Australian Government. Use a disclaimer to emphasize personal views, opinions, and expressions.
If you are interested in studying in Australia, there are scholarships available to help make the process more affordable. The best way to find out what is available is to explore the options on the government and education provider websites. Start your journey today and apply for a scholarship that will help you achieve your dream of studying in Australia.