Stay in Spain After Studying: Options for International Students

If you want to stay in Spain after finishing your degree there (bachelor’s, master’s, or Ph.D.), I have good news for you. Did you know that there are various ways for you to do it? 

For those coming from EU countries, the procedures are easier, and there’s not much restriction with it. EU students may just have to show their passports. Also, you only need to get registered in Spain’s Social Security Office. 

However, for those hailing from countries outside the EU, here are some of the options you have to stay in Spain after studying. 

Job Search Authorization

If you don’t have any plans of renewing your student visa and want to stay in Spain to look for a job, you can apply for a “job search authorization.” Students can start applying for it 60 days before their student visa expires. 

This authorization is for students who have finished their higher education degrees in Spain. It allows graduates to stay in Spain for up to 12 months to look for a job, related to their studies, or to open a business. After 12 months, this authorization cannot be extended. 

Moreover, students applying for this authorization should be looking for highly qualified and not regular jobs. 

Post-Study Work Visa 

Another option is by directly applying for a post-study work visa. In most cases, your post-study work visa will depend on your employer, the length of your stay, and your work function. Here are some of them. 

High-Skilled Professional Visa

The duration for this type of visa is two years, and it can be renewed for up to five years. However, to get this, you must be employed under a type of job under “Shortage Occupation” or highly-skilled positions, such as a manager, or specialized job position. The minimum annual salary in these jobs should be at least EUR 54,000. 

EU Blue Card

The EU Blue Card is valid for 1 year and can be renewed for up to four years. Moreover, it also allows an individual to move between different EU countries. Thus, non-EU residents who have graduated in Spain and got a job requiring specific accreditation or have high qualifications. 

Freelance Work or Self-Employment Visa

This kind of visa is only valid for one year but can be renewed as long as the individual was able to meet all the conditions required. To become eligible for this, you need to have the following:

  • Documentation as proof you have enough money to support yourself
  • Proof of relevant skills 
  • Contracts or commissions 
  • Licenses or registration (if applicable)
  • Business plan (if applicable)

Permanent Residency

Usually, after being able to stay in Spain for at least five continuous years, you may be eligible for a permanent residency. Thus, most get this after spending some time working in Spain and staying there through their post-study work visa. 

Moreover, if you wish to permanently stay in Spain after studying, you have to be a resident there for 10 continuous years. After that, you can apply for citizenship in Spain, which allows you certain perks. 

Learn more useful tips and information about living and studying in Spain by checking our articles at MSM Unify. To make it easier to get a post-study work visa in Spain, you must get an in-demand job.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent posts

Filter by Categories

Program Filter x

  • More

New to MSM Unify?