How to Get Financial Assistance as an International Student in the UK

How to Get Financial Assistance as an International Student in the UK

How to Get Financial Assistance as an International Student in the UK
The United Kingdom is a top destination for international students because of its excellent offerings: some of the best universities in the world and strong employment prospects in the future.

These qualities spark an interest in students worldwide who wish to broaden their opportunities. However, there are things to consider first such as paying for living expenses. In such cases, the majority of the students will need financial aid or scholarships in order to make things work.

If you are an international student looking for a source of funding to be able to study in the UK, this is the right guide for you! We have provided a quick summary of some of the main routes you can take to get started:

From Scholarships

Scholarships are one of the main sources of funding for international students, but they are seriously competitive and often have very stringent eligibility criteria. It really takes courage and dedication for you to be able to land a good scholarship or grant.

Here are some of the reliable and comprehensive sites where you can check scholarship offers: 

  • International Scholarships
  • International Education Financial Aid (IEFA)
  • Scholarship Portal
  • British Council Study UK

It’s worth contacting your local British Council office to find out more about scholarships for students in your country.

Exchange Programs

An exchange program can be considered as a more affordable way of studying in the UK, where you will be enrolling as a university student in your home country and studying in the UK for a semester or all year long.

Before you apply, you can check the universities in your country to see whether they have any partnerships with educational institutions in the UK.

International Student Loans

Other options for education loans can be considered since you will not be eligible for a loan from the UK government like home or EU students. If you want to study at a university abroad full-time, you can apply for a Foreign Enrolled Loan instead.

You must remember that individual countries may have varying schemes in place for this, so research further on student loans from your home country.

From Banks

You can also check the banks from your home country whether they provide loans for international students who are in need of financial support for their study and living expenses.

Commercial banks that offer such loans for students often charge lower interest rates compared to other types of customers and their terms are more flexible. This can be an option that is worth considering for you.

From Private Companies

Many private companies out there are offering financial assistance for students who wish to study in the UK under an agreement that you work for them after your graduation.

This can be a win-win situation if there are huge companies that are keen to employ graduates of your subject.

From Family or Relatives

Studies have shown that 65% of international students are receiving financial support mostly from their family members. So if you think that there is a chance your parents or extended family might be able to extend support for your UK education, this is something that is worth discussing.

The U.K has different options for financial aid to international students. We have plenty of articles here at MSM Unify to help you with your sources of school funds, so make sure to check them out!


Recent posts

Filter by Categories
How to Get Financial Assistance as an International Student in the UK | MSM Unify
Inquire Now

Program Filter

  • More

Thank You

You are already subscribed for MSM Newsletter

Thank You

You have been registered to our newsletter successfully

Write for Us

Do you have a story to tell that will get students excited about learning? Are you an institution eager to reach out to students and share insights about the latest in edtech? Or are you an agent armed with useful information that can help students prepare and become successful with their international education? Do you handle a student organization and want to share your thoughts about pressing issues?

We want to hear from you!

MSM Unify welcomes pitches about every topic you can think about international education, professional learning, comprehensive assessments, technology integration, and everything in between.

Send us a message through our Contact Us page, and be sure to include the following details:

  • A few details about your post and an outline.
  • Links to any graphics or images you want to use.
  • Your target audience.
  • A short author bio with details about your role.

Note: Please make your submissions at least 800 to 1,000 words. We only accept original articles. Posts that have been published on other platforms will not be accepted.

MSM Unify Editorial Process

Your submitted pitch will be discussed by our editorial team. Once we decide to accept it, one of our editors will contact you for further discussions.

All articles submitted to MSM Unify will be subject to our Terms of Use.


An internal error occurred during your request.


Are you sure, you want to logout?

Yes, I am sure! No
× How can I help you?