How to Get a Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada: The Basics

How to Get a Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada: The Basics

How to Get a Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada: The Basics

Most international students study in Canada for a chance at a better life. Canada has plenty of opportunities for foreign students—from school and career to permanent residency.

If one of your goals is to gain valuable work experience in Canada, you need a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This document allows you to work in Canada and is also a bridging mechanism for permanent residency in the country.

Here are some of the essential basics for students who want to work and study in Canada must know to apply for a PGWP:

What is a Post-Graduation Work Permit?

A PGWP is a type of open work permit in Canada. These kinds of permits allow foreign nationals to work anywhere in Canada, under any Canadian employer.

Only international students who graduated from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) can apply for a PGWP. The permit is valid for eight months to three years.

Obtaining a PGWP is a great way for foreign students to get relevant work experience in Canada. With work experience under a Canadian employer, a student can then pursue permanent residence in the country.

For your post-graduation plans, getting a PGWP should be your top priority. Read on to know eligibility requirements and the application process.

Eligibility Requirements for PGWP

According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), an applicant can only get one PGWP in their lifetime.

Applicants must satisfy the following conditions to be eligible for a PGWP:

  • Must be 18 years old or over
  • Completed at least eight months of a vocational, academic, or professional training program. The training program must be taken from an authorized Canadian institution.
  • Maintained a full-time student status in Canada
  • Must have an official letter from the DLI stating program completion

Foreign students must apply within 180 days after completing their program. During this period, they may either have a valid study permit or had a study permit.

Application Process

If your study permit expires before you can apply for a PGWP, you have 90 days to restore your student status. If you don’t apply in 90 days, you must leave Canada and return home.

You can apply online for a PGWP to restore your student status. Then, you must pay a $350 fee. 

It’s necessary to prepare the correct documents before applying for a PGWP. You need your official transcript of records and an official letter confirming that you finished your program.

If the conditions of your PGWP require changes and extension, you must apply on paper. But generally, applying for a PGWP is made online.

Applying online makes the process quicker and you can immediately follow up more documents upon request. You’ll also receive constant updates on your online account.

A Post-Graduation Work Permit allows you to work anywhere in Canada, giving you access to more work opportunities. If you want to get more in-depth and more detailed stories on how to apply for work in Canada, look through our articles here at MSM Unify.


Recent posts

Filter by Categories
How to Get a Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada: The Basics | MSM Unify
Inquire Now

Program Filter

  • More

Thank You

You are already subscribed for MSM Newsletter

Thank You

You have been registered to our newsletter successfully

Write for Us

Do you have a story to tell that will get students excited about learning? Are you an institution eager to reach out to students and share insights about the latest in edtech? Or are you an agent armed with useful information that can help students prepare and become successful with their international education? Do you handle a student organization and want to share your thoughts about pressing issues?

We want to hear from you!

MSM Unify welcomes pitches about every topic you can think about international education, professional learning, comprehensive assessments, technology integration, and everything in between.

Send us a message through our Contact Us page, and be sure to include the following details:

  • A few details about your post and an outline.
  • Links to any graphics or images you want to use.
  • Your target audience.
  • A short author bio with details about your role.

Note: Please make your submissions at least 800 to 1,000 words. We only accept original articles. Posts that have been published on other platforms will not be accepted.

MSM Unify Editorial Process

Your submitted pitch will be discussed by our editorial team. Once we decide to accept it, one of our editors will contact you for further discussions.

All articles submitted to MSM Unify will be subject to our Terms of Use.


An internal error occurred during your request.


Are you sure, you want to logout?

Yes, I am sure! No
× How can I help you?