One thing’s for sure when packing up to study abroad—you can’t take everything. You have to leave certain items behind and take only what you need.
With your suitcases ready, you have to be wise with which belongings to bring. Naturally, you must keep the essentials such as documents and necessities.
If you feel a bit lost in this matter, we got you covered. Make sure that bring these important items before flying to your host country:
All Necessary Documents
If you have to obtain a student visa, keep all the documents involved in the application. You will need this in the future for a possible extension (depending on your case and host country).
You must also bring all your university documents. These will serve as proof of your admission and permit you entry to the university.
Here’s a list of documents you must bring:
- Your passport (must be valid for a specified period according to the duration of your stay)
- Letter of acceptance from the university
- Letter of confirmation for program or course
- Tenancy agreement or accommodation contract
- proof of adequate financial support
- Insurance documents (health insurance, travel insurance, etc.)
- Passport size photographs
- Documents stating medical history
- Copies of your prescriptions if any
- Bank account documents
The clothing pieces you need vary depending on your host country. You might need to bring a thermal jacket if you’re studying in Switzerland or the United States. For warmer countries like the UAE and Malaysia, lighter clothes may be a better option.
Make sure to check the climate in your host country to know what types of clothes to bring. In general, you can bring the following:
- Formal suit
- Leather shoes
- Flats or sandals
- Flip flops
- Hats and caps
Small Electronics and Gadgets
You’ll also need to bring some gadgets and electrical items with you. Take note that you must research the voltage and type of outlet in your host country. You may need to bring a special type of adapter to plug your electronics.
- Your smartphone (with its charger and accessories)
- Your laptop (with its charger and accessories)
- Flash drive
- An extension cord
- Some batteries
- Speakers and/or headphones
Bedroom and Bathroom Items
You won’t have to bring some of these items in large volumes. For example, if you run out of toothpaste, you can immediately buy it from a store in the host country.
For your bathing needs, you must bring the following items:
- Bath and hand towel plus some extras
- Comb or hairbrush
- Nail cutters
- Hand soap
- Sanitary products
To make your bedroom comfortable, bring the following:
- Blankets, bed sheets, and pillowcases
- An extra pillow (if your accommodation does not provide)
- Mattress cover
- Wall clock
- Laundry basket
- Frame photos of your family, friends, or pet
Make sure to pack up all the necessary things you need to study overseas. To complete your pre-departure checklist, check out our stories here at MSM Unify and kickstart your study journey.