Living Off-Campus in Canada? Here are Key Things to Know

Living Off-Campus in Canada? Here are Key Things to Know

Living Off-Campus in Canada? Here are Key Things to Know

Despite being more expensive than on-campusing housing, many international students still prefer private or off-campus accommodation. Naturally, students are more drawn toward independence, freedom, and privacy and private housing can offer all that.

However, many students experience complications in their stay due to a lack of adequate research. They often make mistakes that are different to resolve and recover from.

If you’ve decided that off-campus accommodation is for you, there are key things that you must know. Living off-campus while studying in Canada has certain terms, so you must recognize them before signing that tenancy agreement. 

Different Types of Off-Campus Housing in Canada

Here are your private housing options in Canada:

  • Single-Detached – There are single-detached housings with one story or bungalows, while others have two to three stories. These housings only have one living space.
  • Duplex – A duplex is a building that usually has two living spaces. These living spaces are also referred to as apartments in Canada.
  • Bachelor Apartment – This accommodation has one large room only, which you can transform as both your living and bedroom space. Bachelor apartments are also furnished with a kitchen and a full bathroom.
  • Private Rooms – Renting a private room means you’re renting space in someone’s home. You’ll usually have access to the kitchen, bathroom, and living area depending on the terms of the homeowner. 

Lease and Damage Deposit

When you opt for private housing, there are certain matters that you have to deal with. These are often unique to off-campus accommodations and must be followed under Canadian law.

First, you must determine the length of your lease before signing one. It’s pretty common for the lease to range from 9–10 months.

Second, you’re required to submit payment for the first month. Also, you shouldn’t find it suspicious if your landlord immediately asks for the last month’s rent. This is consistent with the law to protect the landlord.

Third, you need to pay a damage deposit. This is an amount determined by your landlord that you must pay before you move in. Usually, the damage deposit costs as much as one month’s rent.

If you damage the place during your stay, the landlord gets to keep the damage deposit to cover repairs. If no damage was done, the landlord will return the money.

Legal Agreement With a Landlord

A legal agreement with a landlord occurs the moment you sign the lease. Both you and your landlord have certain obligations to meet, otherwise, you would breach the agreement.

Your landlord must provide everything listed on the lease. Some of those may include utilities like electricity and water. He or she must also maintain the good state of your place.

As a tenant, you are obliged to pay the rent on time and maintain order and cleanliness. You must also immediately contact your landlord if there are any issues such as damages.

Understanding how off-campus housing works in Canada is vital for your stay. Flip through our articles here at MSM Unify to learn more about student accommodation in Canada.


Recent posts

Filter by Categories
Living Off-Campus in Canada? Here are Key Things to Know | MSM Unify
Inquire Now

Thank You

You are already subscribed for MSM Newsletter

Thank You

You have been registered to our newsletter successfully

Are you sure, you want to logout?

Yes, I am sure! No

Write for Us

Do you have a story to tell that will get students excited about learning? Are you an institution eager to reach out to students and share insights about the latest in edtech? Or are you an agent armed with useful information that can help students prepare and become successful with their international education? Do you handle a student organization and want to share your thoughts about pressing issues?

We want to hear from you!

MSM Unify welcomes pitches about every topic you can think about international education, professional learning, comprehensive assessments, technology integration, and everything in between.

Send us a message through our Contact Us page, and be sure to include the following details:

  • A few details about your post and an outline.
  • Links to any graphics or images you want to use.
  • Your target audience.
  • A short author bio with details about your role.

Note: Please make your submissions at least 800 to 1,000 words. We only accept original articles. Posts that have been published on other platforms will not be accepted.

MSM Unify Editorial Process

Your submitted pitch will be discussed by our editorial team. Once we decide to accept it, one of our editors will contact you for further discussions.

All articles submitted to MSM Unify will be subject to our Terms of Use.


An internal error occurred during your request.