Curious about tuition-free education in Germany? Here are frequently asked questions with their corresponding answers:
Who can study in Germany for free?
Germany is a very generous country. Whether you are a local, European, or non-European, you can enjoy studying in Germany for free. In short, everyone can avail of this amazing perk. This free-of-charge learning applies to almost all public universities’ study programs.
However, if you are from outside the EU, you have to get a residence permit before entering the country.
Which universities offer this free tuition?
There are over 300 public universities and more than 1,000 study programs in Germany where you can study for free.
Some of Germany’s largest public universities include:
- Ludwig Maximilians University Munich (LMU)
- University of Cologne
- University of Münster
- Goethe University Frankfurt
- RWTH Aachen University
- Technical University of Munich (TUM)
- Ruhr University Bochum
- University of Duisburg-Essen
- Universität Hamburg
- FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg
- University of Würzburg
Why are public universities in Germany free of charge?
Tuition fees are paid almost anywhere in the world. Luckily, Germany is one of the few European countries where you can study without fees.
Germany’s ideologies and principles have a large influence on this. They believe that education is an important matter that should not be treated as a commercial product. Giving everyone access to free higher education enables students to progress in academics in their own phase.
Only a few public educational institutions charge their tuition fees. The German government is understanding in meeting up with the economic and social needs of immigrants. They value education so much that they want the brightest students to study in the country and make them stay there after graduating. A big factor why even international students can avail themselves of this opportunity.
Does free tuition equate to not very good performance in education?
Just because they are free of charge does not mean it’s bad. A lot of well-renowned German universities consistently rank in the global university rankings, proof that Germany is among the best study destinations in the world.
You can expect to learn world-class education through great teaching plus an amazing educational system that will help you land into your company of choice.
Are there any tuition fees in Germany?
No, there aren’t. You can enjoy learning without cost in Germany. However, there are some exceptions, including:
- Almost 100 private universities in the country.
- German universities are categorized between consecutive and non-consecutive master’s programs. (E.g. Executive MBAs).
- Public universities in the Baden-Württemberg state. It has the power to charge tuition fees from non-EU/EEA students in the universities located in Stuttgart, Mannheim, Karlsruhe, Heidelberg, Freiburg, and many others.
- Universities in the federal states. They expect you to pay a tuition fee if you plan to pursue a secondary degree called Zweitstudium.
Discover the wonders of studying in Germany by reading more of our articles here at MSM Unify about this sought-after study destination.